Saturday 18 May 2013

Senses Fail at The House of Blues, Anaheim, LA


This gig might prove a little tricky to review, because thanks to the consumption of alcohol and the subsequent passing of time, my memory is a little bit foggy in places. This is becoming a nasty habit I know, but I’m going to give it a go all the same!


Senses Fail played at The House of Blues in Anaheim, LA, last month, and being right on Disneyland’s doorstep it would have been rude not to pay a visit to Walt’s original park while we were in the vicinity. So visit we did, and after a day of fun, sunshine and generally being big kids, we thought we’d indulge in a little (read a lot) of the local wine.

High on Disney and California’s finest Sauvignon Blanc we rocked up to the House of Blues, argued with security about the video camera in my handbag, (Them: You can’t take it in. Me: It doesn’t work. You are stupid), and made our way inside just in time for the band to arrive on stage.

Formed in 2002, Senses Fail are a post hardcore band from New Jersey who have undergone several line up changes over the last decade but are still going strong. Admittedly their most recent albums have somehow escaped my radar, but I have a real soft spot for the early years (From the Depths of Dreams, Let It Enfold You, etc.).

They opened the show with Renacer, the title track of their latest album released in March, and live in the confines of a rather cramped venue it was a bit more screamo than my usual taste. But they soon moved onto older material, and highlights such as One Eight Seven, Buried a Lie, Can't Be Saved and Bite To Break Skin.

My moment of the night? Rum is for Drinking Not Burning. Definitely. It’s that song you wait for at every gig that is worth the ticket price alone (take note Dropkick Murphys, give the people what they want!). Comedy moment of the night however, has to go to the chick standing in front of us who repeatedly tried to engage her female friend in a threeway with her and her boyfriend whilst they were making out! Hilarious.

Hazy or not, I thoroughly enjoyed my night with Senses Fail. The boy, however, did not. Actually, that isn’t strictly true, he very much enjoyed the evening. But his mind was still in the Magic Kingdom, and he was far more entertained by his own swing renditions of Disney classics than with the band’s performance! Oh well.

Senses Fail are now in the UK and hopefully I will make it to see them again. I don’t think I did them justice and I’d very much like another opportunity to see them when I am on my best behaviour. Next time I want to remember it in HD, not the fuzzy analogue of a film you know you once watched but can’t quite remember in detail. But seeing as that requires sobriety, I wouldn’t hold your breath!

(Edit: On 30 May I saw Senses Fail at The Underworld, Camden. I was well behaved, they were awesome and best songs of the night were Choke On This, Lifeboats and Mi Amor!)

Anyway, huge thanks to Senses Fail for a great night, and here's a little taste for those who aren’t familiar…



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Rock & Runway

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig